Frequently Asked Questions

Page Tools

Print This Page


Are there any parent support courses or workshops I can go on?

There are a number of parents support groups based in the county and the city.  These group have guest speakers and topical conversations around different areas of disabled children’s needs. Visit the Survival section of the website for more information.

NORSACA – host a number of training events throughout the year that maybe able to support you and your family, click on the link and select training on left hand menu.

Can I change my GP?

You are entitled to change your GP. You can contact other local GP practices yourself to see if they can take you on or you can search online for local GPs via NHS Choices website . You don't have to give a reason for changing GP. A new practice can only refuse to take you if you live outside their area or they are full and not taking new patients. You should tell your old GP to take you off their list.

PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) may also be useful to you:
Bassetlaw PCT – 0800 587 3089
NHSNottinghamshire County(outside of Bassetlaw) - 0800 028 3693
NHS Nottingham – 0800 183 0456

Can I get contact details for national organisations related to special needs or disability?

Try our directory of contact details for national organisations related to disability, parents or children. Or all three!

Can you tell me about clubs or social activities where my child would be welcome?

There are a number of local leisure and social activities specifically for children with special needs. Other groups and activities have been set up as integrated groups where children with and without special needs can have fun together. There are also activities that are open to all but which work hard to be inclusive.

You can get full details of local leisure activities in our Fun for All Ages section.

DLA - What is it?

DLA is a tax free, social security benefit for people with an illness or disability. It can be payable to children, as well as adults. To get DLA, your child must need significantly more help or looking after than another child of the same age who hasn't any special needs. There is a different claim pack to fill in if your child is under 16. If your child is 16 at their next birthday, you will probably be sent an adult claim pack.

 1 2 3 >  Last »

Page 1 of 9 pages